The third-largest state in the USA, Ohio has been home to no less than eight American presidents and was also the birthplace of aviation. Whether you’re into art, culture or shopping or simply want to relax on your family vacation, Ohio has it all. Explore all the state has to offer and find out about the best things to see and do in the state known as the ‘Heart Of It All’ with our travel guide.
Because it’s such a huge state, Ohio has plenty of variety. Whether you prefer the buzz of city life in the state’s capital Columbus or outdoor pursuits at Lake Erie, there’s something for everyone. As a vacation destination, Ohio is family-friendly and has plenty to see and do for all ages. Hocking Hills State Park and South Bass Island are perfect for those who love the great outdoors, while Ohio’s Amish Country is a must-see for culture vultures.
Rock n’ Roll Hall Of Fame, Cleveland
If you love rock n’ roll then you can’t miss the museum which documents the history of the genre. With exhibits dedicated to influential artists like Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles, there are seven levels to explore.
Cincinnati Arts Museum, Cincinnati
This fascinating museum hosts a 60,000-piece collection, so you’re sure to need a whole day here.
Cedar Point, Sandusky
Adrenaline junkies should make a beeline for Cedar Point in Sandusky. Known as ‘the roller coaster capital of the world’, the amusement park opened in 1870 and is home to 18 bone-shaking rides.
1. Columbus – Ohio’s state capital, named after the famous Italian explorer, is where you’ll find Ohio State University. Check out the Short North Arts District for their ‘Gallery Hop’ on the first Saturday of every month. That’s when shops and galleries have late-night openings, perfect for art lovers of all ages. Golf enthusiasts should head for the suburb of Dublin in early June to catch the Memorial Tournament, part of the PGA Tour.
2. Hocking Hills State Park – If outdoor pursuits are your idea of the perfect vacation, head for Hocking Hills State Park. Old Man’s Cave, one of the most popular hiking routes, has a magnificent gorge where you can peer into the subsurface of the earth (and take some fantastic family photos).
3. Cincinnati – Ohio’s third-largest city is perhaps best known for its chili and sports teams, the former of which is very spicy! Make a beeline for the ‘Great American Ball Park’ to see the US’s very first baseball team or check out the Paul Brown Stadium to see the Bengals in action on the football field.
4. Cleveland – No trip to Cleveland is complete without a visit to the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame, but keen golfers will also be in their element. You’ll find more golf courses near Cleveland than anywhere else in the US, so pack your clubs.
5. South Bass Island – This small island in Lake Erie is known as the ‘Key West of Lake Erie’ – due to its phenomenal natural beauty.
Ohio is a sunny state but can experience doses of heavy rain. With average temperatures of around 53°F, the weather is generally pleasant for exploring. In cities like Columbus, summer temperatures can rise to around 87°F, so if you prefer a cooler vacation, you might wish to visit in Spring or Fall.
The best way to see Ohio is by car. There are seven major interstate roads, with the I-70 splitting the state in half and the I-71 connecting the cities of Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati.
Aug 2 - Aug 3
This was our second time staying here. The building is beautiful and this time we had a large whirlpool suite. The whirlpool was the perfect size for two people...just make sure you really like the other person :) The only negative thing we really ran into was the two people per elevator rule due ...
Aug 2 - Aug 3
Love this location, it’s clean, quiet and everytime I’m in town I make it a point to stay here.
Jul 9 - Jul 10
The staff were really nice, the room service food was just ok. Didn’t care for the ribs.
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Orbitz.com from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.