Known for its fall foliage, maple syrup, and outdoor activities, the Great Mountain State is an outdoor lover’s paradise. Vermont vacations have plenty to offer all ages, from hiking and biking in the Green Mountains to shopping at Burlington Farmers Market or visiting a sugar house to pick up the freshest, all-natural maple syrup. We’ve got plenty of travel tips to help you make the most of your Vermont vacation. Our travel guide will tell you all about the must-see attractions and the best destinations to visit in Vermont.
Whether you’re into hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, or nature spotting, want to shop until you drop, or are looking for a vacation packed with history and culture, Vermont has it all. From bustling cities like Burlington and Newport to ski resorts and beautiful lakes and mountains, Vermont vacations are perfect for the whole family. It won’t vacation the budget, either, as you’ll find affordable Vermont hotels around every corner.
Church Street Marketplace, Burlington – This historic, award-winning open-air mall is the ideal place to mingle with the locals, enjoy street entertainment, browse art galleries, and shop for souvenirs and local goods. If all that sounds like too much effort you can always simply relax with a coffee and watch the world go by.
Hildene, Manchester – This historic house was once the home of Robert Todd Lincoln, the first son of US President Abraham Lincoln. Today you can tour the house and grounds for some fantastic photo opportunities.
Old Stone House Museum, Newport – This fascinating museum is the place to head for if you want an insight into local history and culture. While you’re in Newport you’ll find plenty of other attractions too.
1. Montpelier – The state capital is a small, compact city that’s popular with visitors to New England. While you’re here, visit Vermont State House, or take a free tour at the Morse Farm Sugar Works, a sugar house producing delicious maple syrup. For the freshest syrup, come in the spring when it’s made.
2. Green Mountains – Vermont’s oldest and highest mountains are home to the Green Mountain National Forest. Here you may be lucky enough to spot black bears, moose, and coyote while you’re hiking, skiing, fishing or hunting.
3. Lake Champlain – This vast freshwater lake is over 100 miles long and divides Vermont and New York state. It’s the second largest freshwater lake in the United States and is at its most beautiful in fall when the leaves begin to turn. Come here for outdoor activities and camping with the family.
4. Burlington – The city of Burlington lies close to Lake Champlain and is a great place to do some shopping. Head for Church Street Marketplace or shop for local cheese and maple syrup at Burlington Farmers Market. The farmer's markets run from spring through fall outdoors near Church Street and at an alternative venue during the winter months.
5. Manchester – This town in southern Vermont hosts an annual classic and antique car fair every June which fits in with the quaint, old-world atmosphere of the town itself. While you’re here, don’t miss a tour of Hildene and a visit to the American Fly Fishing Museum.
New England in the fall is breath-taking, which explains why so many people choose to spend their vacation in Vermont when the leaves begin to drop. Spring here is equally beautiful in its own way, and a great time to tour the sugar houses as the maple syrup is flowing. With average annual temperatures of around 43°F, it’s rarely too hot in Vermont, but temperatures in August can rise to around 81°F.
The easiest way to see everything Vermont has to offer is to rent a car. There are two major interstates crossing the state: I-89 and I-91, as well as a number of highways and byways.
Jun 1 - Jun 2
Very comfortable beds and bedding! The hotel was undergoing renovations.
Jun 15 - Jun 16
Everything was good except dining in at the resort. We had dinner one night and everything was overcooked. It was unfortunate, we enjoyed everything else though.
Jun 15 - Jun 16
Close to the water and close to the city. Everything was within walking distance.
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Orbitz.com from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.