By Nina Gass
With a temperature averaging between 72 and 82 degrees during December and January, celebrating the winter holidays in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic is a delightfully different experience.
This year, why not forgo tradition for the priceless gift of a sunny beach vacation at beautiful Punta Cana hotels. You’ll find rest and relaxation, and lots of opportunities for holiday cheer with special events like these:
- El Chapuson, or the Salsa Holidays, is a celebration with color, music, and a vibrant atmosphere, and is held December 3-11 in Santo Domingo.
- On December 8th, all of the museums in Santo Domingo will stay open until Midnight for what is called La Noche Larga de los Museos, leaving you plenty of time to soak up the sun during the day and still squeeze in some culture during the evening.
- Avid poker players will enjoy the Matum Hotel and Casino’s 3rd Annual Poker Tournament from December 18-20.
- In Santo Domingo, food lovers gather at the Gastronomic Circuit which lasts through the month of December. The event is capped off with a grand finale featuring tapas and dishes paired with local delights such as coconut, rum, fruit and seafood from 32 of the best restaurants in Boca Chica and Santo Domingo.
- Special New Year’s celebrations take place in Santo Domingo on the Avenida del Puerto and the Malecon.
- January 5th, which is Three Kings Day, offers the parade of the Three Kings on Calle El Conde Street in the historic Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo.
- For avid golfers planning to extend their holiday into January, there’s the 27th Anniversary International Husband & Wife Golf Championship from January 24 – 30, 2011 at Cap Cana.
Many Punta Cana resorts also feature their own holiday event schedules, especially the all-inclusive spots that sometimes create special Christmas musicals or festive menus. For example, the Barcelo Punta Cana, an all-inclusive Punta Cana hotel, has created special holiday shows and gala dinners along with a festive lighted palmtree display that is absolutely breathtaking. Another top Punta Cana resort, Dreams Punta Cana has special events for adults and children, including musical reviews, a visit from Santa Claus and dancing until dawn on the beach for New Year’s Eve.
Nina Gass is a freelance travel and business writer who lives in Los Angeles, California with her husband and two boys. An avid traveler and dreamer, Nina makes the most of her international family connections throughout the U.S., Australia, England, and Mexico.
Tagged: Family time