As part of my job as Orbitz market manager for the Southeast region of the U.S., I travel throughout the area to scope out cities and research great hotels. And while this sounds like a perfect job, it does have some setbacks: For one, I need to leave my toddlers behind (but now that I think about it, leaving the tantrums and potty-training accidents for a few days isn’t all that bad). And another thing, with so many fantastic hotels to visit and neighborhoods to explore, having to slice up my time becomes a task. At the end of the day, I can’t really complain since I get to head to beautiful cities, like Charleston, S.C.
This historic city in the Deep South is at times both elegant and exciting—and when visiting Charleston, you have many hotel options, depending on your budget and personal interests.
Historic Charleston hotels offer upscale options nearby great shopping, dining and nightlife, where you can find great deals on luxury hotel rooms and suites. The French Quarter Inn opens up more doors in an exciting setting. Or you can stay across the Cooper River in Mount Pleasant, where you can find less expensive hotels, like the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina, which often runs specials. A beach and golf vacation is not out of the question either, as Charleston hotels on Kiawah or Seabrook islands create a beautiful setting to relax.
The following five Charleston hotels offer a great value for fall travel, and yes I have toured, stayed at and even eaten at most of these hotels as part of my, um, stressful duties at Orbitz.
- The French Quarter Inn is one of those hotels that just make you feel like you are ready to relax in luxury. It may be the Champagne offered at check in, (and I checked in after hours!) or the cheese and wine reception each evening. It could also be the tranquil setting and the warm staff that truly exude Southern hospitality. And if you book a hotel before October 19, you can save 20 percent for a stay during October and 25 percent during November.
- A true bed and breakfast, the elegant Vendue Inn is as charming as it is unique, with each room decorated with its own specific touches. You’ll get a made-to-order breakfast each morning (I recommend the waffles and fresh berries) and have the opportunity to enjoy evening cocktails as the sun sets on the hotel’s rooftop bar, where you can take in sweeping views of the harbor. The best part is that the Vendue Inn is having a 40% off special until the end of the year.
- Check in to superb luxury at the Charleston Place Hotel, where you’ll not only encounter world-class accommodations, but also some of the best shopping at the on-site Shops at Charleston Place, including 35 luxury stores (Gucci and Louis Vuitton are only two to look forward to). Add the roof-top pool and spa and it makes an ideal location for a girl’s weekend. This fall the Charleston Place is offering complimentary valet parking (anyone who has parked in the Historic District knows this is a huge value) and complimentary full breakfast for two in the dining room. This deal starts October 2 and is available through late December. Also, check out the $35 off Concierge Level rooms available right now.
- The Francis Marion is a true historic hotel, opening originally in 1924 and receiving a $12 million trust in 1996 for renovations. From the time you enter the lobby, this hotel emulates Charleston’s rich history. The rooms are furnished with 20th century décor, however offer many modern amenities. Until Nov. 15 receive 10 percent off on two nights or more, and after that date, you can get the third night free—what better incentive to start holiday shopping!
- The newest hotel in the Historic District, the Market Pavillion offers luxurious accommodations and service. The restaurant, Grill 225, is a member of the Great Steak Houses of America and the Pavilion Roof Top Bar is a popular nightspot with great views of the city—not to mention they make a great martini. Their Experience Value Fall Promotion offers a $25 food and beverage credit with each stay when you book on Orbitz.
Robin Gallagher is a Senior Market Manager for Orbitz Worldwide. She is a busy working Mom with even busier boys who are 2 and 3. As you can imagine, family fun time while keeping the interest of boys with 20 minute attention spans, has become a mission for her and her husband in life and in travel!