Parades, cookouts, fireworks — however you like to celebrate, the Fourth of July is the holiday of summer, and with the 4th falling on a Saturday this year, it's a great opportunity for a short summer vacation. Before you book your flights and hotels, check out these top picks based on Orbitz bookings for travel July 3-6:
Top 10 Fourth of July Vacation Destinations for 2009
1. Las Vegas: Las Vegas hotels — with their glitzy shows and gourmet restaurants — are popular year 'round, and it's no surprise that Vegas celebrates the Fourth in a big way. Check out a virtual fireworks show on the Viva Vision canopy at the Fremont Street Experience, or see the real thing — times nine — as nine different Stations Casinos properties display fireworks simultaneously.
2. Chicago: The Fourth of July is a great time to plan a summer vacation in Chicago. Taste of Chicago is in full swing, and you can take full advantage of the lakefront beaches. Chicago's official Fourth of July fireworks take place on July 3 over the lake by Grant Park.
4. Honolulu: Book a relaxing Hawaii vacation over the Fourth of July and enjoy Hawaii's largest fireworks display at the Alana Moana Center in Honolulu.
5. Cancun: So, while you aren't likely to see Fourth of July fireworks in Mexico, Cancun hotels are a popular place to relax any time ofyear.
6. Punta Cana: No celebrations here either, but Punta Cana does boast plenty of all-inclusive resorts for your summer vacation on the beach.
7. San Francisco: San Francisco seems always to be on lists of top U.S. travel destinations, and with its iconic bridges, charming neighborhoods and expansive waterfront, it's easy to understand why. San Francisco's Fourth of July fireworks take place over the Bay at Pier 39.
8. New Orleans: If you're looking for a travel experience with good music and good food, New Orleans is certainly a good pick. The city celebrates the Fourth of July with a "Dueling Barges" fireworks show on the banks of the Mississippi River.
9. Washington, D.C.: An ever-popular summer vacation destination, there's perhaps no better place to celebrate the Fourth of July than in our nation's capital. There's a concert at the U.S. Capitol, followed by fireworks on the National Mall.
10. London: You won't find fireworks after your flight across the pond, but London's shows, museums and other attractions are reason enough for a summer vacation here.
Related Orbitz resources:
- Las Vegas hotels
- Chicago hotels
- New York hotels
- Honolulu hotels
- Cancun hotels
- Punta Cana hotels
- San Francisco hotels
- New Orleans hotels
- Washington, D.C. hotels
- London hotels