With summer in full swing and after months of sheltering in place, many Americans are looking to getaway. While most travelers are booking last minute and taking trips within driving distance of where they live, those who want to take a break further from home may have questions about what to expect.
Carey Malloy, Brand Director at Orbitz says: “Because of new processes and social distancing efforts in place at most airports, we recommend making a plan to arrive at the airport earlier than you normally would. It’s also important to do your research, particularly around travel advisories and restrictions for certain origins and destinations which may include, among other things, on-arrival quarantine, preclusions on non-essential travel, and other travel requirements like wearing a mask.”
Some of the best summer flight deals on Orbitz.com right now include:
- The Midwest is Best when it comes to affordable summer getaways. Traverse City, MI and Fargo, ND are on average 40% cheaper this summer than last; Indianapolis, IN, Detroit, MI and Kansas City, MO are 30%+ cheaper on average
- The great outdoors is on sale with Kalispell and Bozeman, MT; Jackson Hole, WY; Rapid City, SD; and Aspen and Denver, CO among destinations that are more than 30% off this July
- Flights out of Chicago are the cheapest this summer, with popular domestic routes tracking 30-60% off to Denver, Vegas and many more U.S. destinations
- Searches to “second city” airports such as Baltimore, MD; Pittsburgh, PA; and Austin, TX are most popular for July/August 2020 on Orbitz.com
Smart Air Travel Tips
Whether your next trip is for leisure or business, Orbitz has assembled several tips to keep in mind.
- Do your research, particularly around travel advisories and restrictions for certain origins and destinations. An interactive country-by-country list of air travel restrictions and advisories can be found here.
- Look for flexibility by filtering search results for flights, hotels, and activities by penalty-free and flexible cancellation policies.
- If you have travel insurance, make sure you know what it covers.
- Make sure that activities and attractions you want to visit are open and plan for any restrictions.
Anticipate Travel Needs
- Consider packing enough alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) and keep it within easy reach; but remember some airports or airlines may have limitations on volume of liquids you can carry.
- Bring a cloth face covering or mask to wear in public places.
- Prepare food and water for your trip. Pack non-perishable food in case restaurants and stores are closed. Some airlines may limit your ability to carry food and beverages onboard.
New COVID-19 policies may vary across top air carriers. A full list of current policies by airline is available upon request.