By Derek Brown
Dr. Beach, America’s preeminent beach expert, just named the best beach for 2011: Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, Fla. Locals claim it has the finest and whitest sand in the world. Having grown up there, I would most certainly agree.
In his 21st annual ranking, Dr. Beach, who is also known as Dr. Stephen Leatherman of Florida International University, says, “The powdery sand is nearly pure quartz.” Wide swaths of open beach and gentle waves make it a paradise for anyone. There’s plenty of room to throw a blanket down and take in the sun’s rays, walk along the water line or play a game of volleyball.
- Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Fla.
- Coronado Beach in San Diego
- Kahanamoku Beach in Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
- Main Beach in East Hampton, NY.
- Cape Hatteras in the Outer Banks of N.C.
- St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, S.C.
- Coast Guard Beach in Cape Cod, Mass.
- Waimanalo Bay Beach Park on Oahu, Hawaii
- Cape Florida State Park in Key Biscayne, Fla.
Derek Brown, a member of the Orbitz team, grew up just across the bridge from Siesta Key. He spent many days swimming, building sand castles and playing volleyball at Siesta.