New York City might be the city that never sleeps, but the Empire State has so much more going for it than just NYC. Stretching from Manhattan all the way up to Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, and the Canadian border, vacations in New York State are perfect for family vacations and weekend breaks alike.
Fancy a beach vacation on Long Island? How about hiking in fall in the Adirondack Mountains? Whether you’re looking for weekend breaks in the Big Apple or want to visit the National Museum of Racing & Hall of Fame in Saratoga Springs, taking vacations in New York State is a great way to spend your downtime.
No matter what time of year you arrive, New York State package vacations at Lake Placid are wonderful. This huge lake is one of the Empire State’s most beautiful attractions and has year-round activities which include biking, canoeing, skiing and tobogganing. Grab dinner in one of the restaurants overlooking the lake, stay in a local, family-friendly hotel, and we promise you, the whole family will fall in love with the area.
There’s no better place to see across New York City than from the top of the Empire State Building. Dominating the center of Midtown Manhattan, this iconic Art Deco building is the best introduction to the Big Apple – as long as you’ve got a head for heights! Afterwards, head down 5th Avenue to take the kids to the Fun World amusement park to get rid of all that sightseeing energy.
1. Jamaica - If you want to explore everything around New York City then staying in Jamaica, Queens, is a good place to base yourself. From here you can explore Manhattan as well as take trips up to Long Island.
2. Niagara Falls – It has to be one of the most impressive sights in the United States, and on everyone’s bucket list. Niagara Falls is an amazing day trip when you’re on vacation in upstate New York. The whole family will have a great time, so book onto a boat ride, pack your camera, and remember your waterproof jacket because the three massive waterfalls produce a lot of spray!
3. New York City - Explore the Big Apple on your New York State vacations and you’re guaranteed to have an unforgettable experience. Grab a slice of pizza to eat on a Central Park bench, and wander around Times Square. Take the children on a ferry ride to see the Statue of Liberty and go on a cruise of the famous Hudson River.
4. Lake Erie - Take a trip to Lake Erie State Park and go for long walks along the hiking trails, try your hand at fishing, and let the kids play on the beaches. Lake Erie is both peaceful and yet packed with fun activities, making it a great place for a family vacation.
5. Lake George – Away from the crowds and up in the Adirondack Mountains you’ll find Lake George - a relaxing destination for weekend getaways or a family vacation. Have picnics on the lakeshore, go hiking in the forests, and take a day trip to Saratoga Springs.
New York State package vacations can be taken at any time of year with so much to do. In spring, summer, and fall go hiking in the Adirondack Mountains or have fun on the beaches of Lake Erie. In winter, head up to the slopes for a ski vacation, or go ice skating on the rink at the Rockefeller Center in New York City. The fall colors are beautiful in upstate New York and make the perfect backdrop for romantic weekend breaks.
New York State is well connected by air and road. Fly into one of New York City’s airports like JFK or choose Buffalo Niagara International (BUF) for Niagara Falls. New York State has plenty of major airports and you can hire a car from any airport to kick-start your New York State vacations in style.