Orbitz compared rates for hotel rooms booked on its site for stays from June 1 through August 31, 2009, to rates during the same period in 2008 and found savings of as much as 40% for 2009 summer vacations.
Mexico vacations can be cheaper — with Cancun hotels running 19% less this year than in 2008 and Riviera Maya hotels about 9% cheaper. Las Vegas hotels are nearly 42% cheaper this summer, and Chicago hotels are about 24% cheaper. Even a Hawaii vacation can cost less, with average daily rates for Oahu hotels about 23% less than last year.
Check out the full list:
Top 10 Summer Vacation Destinations / Avg. Daily Rate 2009
1. Las Vegas, NV / $72.29: Las Vegas hotels each try to outshine each other on the Strip, and with gourmet restaurants, world-class shows, spas, live music and comedy — Sin City truly has something for everyone. Las Vegas hotels
2. Cancun / $183.36: Beautiful beaches, watersports and nightlife make Cancun a perennially popular vacation destination. Cancun hotels range from luxurious all-inclusive resorts to family-friendly hotels. Cancun hotels
3. Oahu / $135.95: This Hawaii vacation hot spot has it all — Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head Crater, plus endless shopping and restaurants. And don't forget, President Obama called this island home. Oahu hotels
4. Riviera Maya / $248.16: Along this stretch of coastline just south of Cancun, you'll find a slightly quieter Mexico vacation. All-inclusive resorts form their own isolated communities, and you're close to the ruins of Tulum. Riviera Maya hotels
5. Chicago, IL / $122.00: Windy City residents know Chicago really shines in the summertime. The beaches are packed with sunbathers and volleyball players, diners fill outdoor tables at the restaurants, and you'll find festivals, outdoor concerts and events in every neighborhood. Chicago hotels
6. Dominican Republic – Punta Cana / $210.41: This increasingly popular Caribbean vacation destination boasts long stretches of pink sand beaches and lots of all-inclusive resorts. The island offers accommodations for family travel and budget travel in addition to luxury vacations. Dominican Republic hotels
7. New York, NY / $192.62: Foodies, families and theater buffs alike find New York the perfect summer vacation destination. The cities parks, museums and attractions can entertain visitors of all ages. New York hotels
8. San Diego, CA / $139.74: SeaWorld, Legoland and the San Diego Zoo make this a popular summer vacation destination for families. But with endless beaches and parks, hip hotels and restaurants and much more, San Diego is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts and anyone who wants to enjoy natural beauty and big city amenities. San Diego hotels
9. London / $138.78: If you're looking for a summer vacation that combines history with hip culture, this European capital is it. World-class museums and theater, charming neighborhoods and iconic attractions like Big Ben make exploring London a constant adventure. London hotels
10. Puerto Vallarta / $180.70: Even with mega all-inclusive resorts up and down Banderas Bay, Puerto Vallarta has retained its charm. The boardwalk is a popular spot for watching people and sunsets, and the cobblestone streets are lined with shops and galleries. Puerto Vallarta hotels