After having a horrible year of doctors, hospitals & chemo for my Mom, I promised that we would go away for a few days to wherever she wanted to go and she chose Myrtle Beach. The Sandcastle is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed. Everything
was nice & clean. Staff was very friendly & helpful. We swam in the pool, used the lazy river & Mom went into the hot tub (she loved it). We shopped at the outlets, saw 2 shows & the Italian Restaurant next door was wonderful. Lulu's Cafe across the street - is a must. A wonderful place to come back to in the future. Thank you.
Hotel features (5 = best, 1 = worst):
The hotel had a brochure with coupons that we used.
First room we had was extremely dirty with bugs smashed on the walls and dirty floors so we requested another room immediately and the staff was nice and gave us a suit which was much cleaner and nicer!
Great location - only 4 blocks from the boardwalk. Staff was friendly and helpful, room was clean and comfortable. We stayed in a "side view" room, but still had a good view of the ocean. The only negative thing during our stay were the neighbors
next door - they stayed up partying until after 4 am!!
It was a birthday getaway. It only three of us but we were able to get a one bedroom suite for the weekend that slept 6. The room although a bit dated was just fine for little sleep and a lot of partying. Location was awesome didn't move the car
until we wanted Calabash. Overall perfect for friend quickie trips but I wouldn't bring my family. It's just not the at home experience we've come accustomed too when traveling as a family.
Several things need improvement at this hotel:
1. NO bathroom in the hotel lobby as you wait to get checked in;
2. NO hairdryer in the rooms. You have to pay a $10 deposit at the front desk, get the hairdryer and then return it to the front desk
to get your deposit back.
3. The Environmental Services staff are pleasant but need the proper tools to do their job. The carts they use are falling apart.
4. We had to park in a garage parking that was almost 2 blocks away.
5. The Garage parking has several used mattresses, broken toilets and other furniture items stored on the first floor
6. One of the lights in the stairwell (2nd floor) was burned out. DHEC should fine them. There was also trash in the floor in the stairway exit. I have pictures.
7.You have to be careful or you will get scalded with the bathroom sink faucet. It worked poorly and was either scalding hot or cold.
8. The comforter on the bed was from the 1960's. Thin and cheap.
9. Bring a pillow. Only 2 per bed.
10. Be prepared to take the steps, only one elevator per building which is shared with housekeeping staff.
Overall this was the 2nd worst hotel I have stayed in (yes, there is worse). Spend the extra 20-40 per night and get a much better room at another hotel. If your are a college student on a budget and are used to a frat house and plan to stay drunk and puke most of the time - the place will be perfect!