My fiance and I went to Kauai to get married. When looking for a hotel, we wanted something... See full review
Sep 24, 2014
Great spot by the beach
The location is great and the rooms are very nice. The exterior and lobby area could use an upgrade... See full review
Aug 6, 2014
Budget-friendly hotel overlooks Wailua Beach on the Royal Coconut Coast
Easy on the budget, Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel is a newly renovated garden-style lodging overlooking the ocean on the east shore of Kauai. There are not a lot of frills here, but basic vacation needs are nicely met in 200 comfortable rooms decked out in casual island-style decor with air conditioning. The 6-acre property has two pools and puts guests steps from user-friendly Wailua Beach, where activities include swimming, snorkeling, sunning, surfing and boogie boarding. The hotel does not have its own restaurant, but the many eateries of Coconut Marketplace are close by.
Steps from Wailua Beach
Two swimming pools
Walking distance to Coconut Marketplace
Internet access (fee applies)
A central east coast location makes Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel a fine base for easy exploring north to Hanalei Town, Princeville and the Na Pali Coast and south to Poipu Beach Resort. Even the rugged western shore, with spectacular Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park, is a doable day trip.
All rooms at Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel can accommodate up to three adults or two adults and two children. Basic amenities include both air conditioning and ceiling fans, a small refrigerator, balcony and tub and shower. All rooms have wireless Internet access (fee applies). Kauai Sands Hotel does not have adjoining rooms or cribs available, but families with young children can request a rollaway bed (fee applies).
Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel is a good choice for vacationers on a budget and those who plan to spend most of their time out and about in gorgeous Kauai rather than in a hotel room. The hotel is only a couple of miles from Wailua Golf Course, well under a mile from tranquil Wailua River and just a short walk to the 60-plus shops and restaurants at Coconut Marketplace. A small in-room refrigerator allows guests to have snacks, juice and breakfast items on hand, making it even easier to keep a vacation budget in check. And although many island accommodations, even the most luxurious, do not have air conditioning, Kauai Sands Hotel does.
Lihue Airport (5.9 mi/9.4 km)
Taxis and other transportation services available
Kayak Kauai Wailua River Paddle (0.1 mi/0.2 km)
Wailua Golf Course (2.2 mi/3.5 km)
Spouting Horn Beach Park (20.9 mi/33.6 km)
Haena Beach Park (30.8 mi/49.6 km)
Waimea Canyon (35.6 mi/57.3 km)
Policies and fees
Cribs are available for $5 per night.
This is not a comprehensive list of fees. Any amounts listed above may not include taxes and are subject to change.
A central east coast location makes Kauai Shores Hotel a fine base for easy exploring north to Hanalei Town, Princeville and the Na Pali Coast and south to Poipu Beach Resort.
Room with one King or 2 Queen beds includes remote control color Televisions, refrigerator, air conditioning, ceiling fan and a private balcony.
Room with one King or two Queen beds includes remote control color TV,refrigerator, air conditioning, ceiling fan and a private balcony.
Room with one King or two Queen beds includes remote control color TV, refrigerator, air conditioning, ceiling fan and a private balcony.
No smoking rooms/facilities
No smoking rooms/facilities
Terms and conditions
Rates quoted in currencies other than the hotel's base currency are subject to the rate of the international exchange. Rate may change throughout stay. Rate may reflect average nightly rate. Extra charges may apply. Incidental charges, such as room service, are not included in the rate.
The amenities and/or facilities may not be located at the hotel, but within a reasonable distance, and additional charges may apply for use.
My fiance and I went to Kauai to get married. When looking for a hotel, we wanted something central, comfortable, clean and not overly expensive. We knew that we would spend little to no time in our room, so spending $200 or more a night seemed a
little excessive. We found the Aqua Kauai Shores through a flight/hotel deal. We loved staying there. As a break down:
- the staff was fantastic particularly Angela at the front desk who was insanely cheerful and full of great advice and the little woman in charge of making sure breakfast trays were always full.
- breakfast was simple (croissants and donuts) but tasty and plentiful. There was also free coffee all day long, with fresh cream in the mornings.
- the hotel is just south of Kapaa, which means you skip the traffic there if you want to head south. It also means that the entire island is about an hour in either direction.
- the hotel is right on the beach. We watched the sun rise from the beach every morning.
-the supplied shampoo, etc was top notch
- there were plenty of pillows on the bed.
- the $15 a day resort fee includes your parking, unlimited movie and PS3 rentals, breakfast and free yoga as well as a manager's reception with drinks on Wednesdays.
-next door is the Coconut Grove shopping center, which is really convenient.
- they use wrist bands instead of keys. Awesome if you're carrying stuff and could never have gotten a key card into a slot.
- the beds were very firm. I slept on top of the pillows on the bed most nights.
- from the outside, and in the rooms behind the reception area, the hotel looks very run down. The rooms themselves have all been overhauled, but the rest of the place needs a little work.
- the windows in the room were not replaced when they redid the rooms. If you don't keep the thick curtains pulled at all times, hot air will seep in and make the air conditioning useless.
- as others have noted, the air conditioner is very loud, but a work horse. I kept it on 75 most of the time and it was cold enough in the room to need two blankets to sleep.
If you're going to be spending a huge amount of time in your room or at your resort, this might not be the place for your. If you're looking for a super friendly staff, very clean room, great beach access and free breakfast, then look no further.
The location is great and the rooms are very nice. The exterior and lobby area could use an upgrade but still an excellent hotel and staff. Recommend hotel change or do away with the extra resort charge.
Hotel is not much to look at on the outside. Old, and dated but still has some character to it. The lobby was super old and dated, however, the rooms were updated and renovated. Beds were comfortable and inviting. Could use a little flair for
amenities though, no hot tub, which was a downer. Staff was VERY friendly though.