EPIC is classic Miami – stylish, luxurious, more than a little flashy. Those familiar with the Kimpton brand, however, might be in for a few surprises.
On arrival, a bellhop took our bags and offered to zip us to the front of the registration
line ... then exited through a door behind the front desk and disappeared altogether. An hour later, we were shown to our "water view king" room. Leaning off the balcony, we could see a strip of the Miami River and a sliver of the bay. A quick call to the front desk got us a room on the other side of the hotel with nice bay views (we were told you have to request this option in advance).
Many of the room's features were well-intended but poorly executed:
• The handsets on the cordless phones rarely worked, requiring all calls to be made by speaker.
• The A/C automatically shuts off when the room is empty or the balcony door is open – a nice "green" feature, except that the balcony door was difficult to open and close and it took multiple slams to re-engage the A/C sensor (a trick we discovered after a clammy night with no air).
• Through some strange acoustic quirk, the water pipes in the (lovely and spacious) bath made a LOUD chiming sound when turned on – clearly audible through the bathroom vents from other guest rooms.
• Free wifi requires membership in the loyalty program, for which registration is quick and easy. However, the system failed to recognize my email address, a glitch that could not be resolved through the front desk. After 10 minutes of troubleshooting with guest services, I had to ask for the master login address, which granted us Internet access throughout our stay.
The affiliated restaurant, Area 31, has killer views but inconsistent service. We soon learned to deal exclusively with the pool bar staff, who were exceptionally helpful and friendly.
Minor issues aside, there were many things we loved:
• Gorgeous nighttime views of the surrounding high rises and lights on the water
• Easy access to Zuma, the stellar restaurant located on the ground floor (though not affiliated with the hotel)
• Comfy beds and great linens
• Heated rooftop pools with ample seating and great service
• Friendly, responsive staff in almost all areas
Bottom line: EPIC is a beautiful hotel with stellar amenities and some operational challenges. If you're expecting the usual seamless Kimpton experience, you might be disappointed. If you're okay with a few glitches amid luxurious surroundings, you'll have a great stay.
Hotel features (5 = best, 1 = worst):
Be sure to make a reservation at Zuma if you plan to eat there – it's packed and hotel guests can't be guaranteed seating.
Came here for a New Years 4 day getaway. The view and location was perfect. Walking distance to Bayfront Park. Staff was helpful, although sometimes didn't know what they were talking about. The concierge fell a little short on arrangements for
the special event but still overall a good experience given that it was one of the busiest times of the year.
This is my second stay in this fantastic hotel. The view was incredible, we had perfect water / city view and fireworks when the clock turned 12 A.M! The only complain I had was the A.C. It was decent but after a couple of drinks, it would be
great to turn the A.C lower than 65 degrees. The staff was the best, we were given late check out at 5 P.M, from 5-6 complementary drinks for their guests and the cleaning staff were extremely helpful. I would defiantly stay here again, I'm looking forward to it !
Hotel features (5 = best, 1 = worst):
Short walk from hotel
Dog Park across the hotel and a new cinema is being constructed!
Pros: Good overall experience. Clean room, great location. Nice complementary wine hour in lobby, Offered us free room upgrade. Comp bottle of champagne for our anniversary.
Cons: Staff delivered wrong luggage in beginning but sorted it out. Be
prepared for $36.00/night parking fee. Staff did not deliver anniversary gift to room which I had informed as well as sent to hotel prior to arrival . Had to inquire twice and they finally found it 12 hours later. They did apologize.
We loved the room especially the roman tub and walk in shower. Staff was very friendly and warming. Had serious valet parking trouble though by not being able to retrieve my car after waiting 30 min. Finally had to walk to my destination 2 blocks
away. At least valet manager was kind enough to comp the $36 charge. In house Area 31 restaurant was a bit pricey but food was excellent and service was great. Great get away weekend all around.