I'll try to keep this short, as I could go on and on about his horrible hotel:
- ridiculously expensive, I paid $175 a night for a single room with a twin bed!
- room is claustrophobic, it's incredibly small, as a fellow traveler called it, it's
"a glorified broom closet"
- view to the inner courtyard is appalling, all you see is mold and dirt
- bathroom is clean, but tiny; if you're over 6ft tall, good luck fitting into the shower
- sheets have holes in them, seriously?!?
- you have to pay for TV and internet. My first time in a hotel where you have to pay for TV, and I'm not talking about pay-per-view, just regular TV. Normally I wouldn't care as I don't watch TV anyway, but it's so petty giving how much they charge per night.
- when I was there (early November), there was construction work, so I couldn't sleep past 8-8:30 a.m. because of the noise.
- rude staff at check-in, they demanded my passport! I am a citizen of an EU country, so I can travel with just my national ID card.
- elevators take forever! I took the stairs down a few times as the wait got ridiculous.
The only good thing about this place is the location, supposedly, it's pretty much right next to Trafalgar Square. I'm really annoyed with other people who reviewed this place and gave it 5 stars overall because of the location. Location is NOT everything! That's why you have multiple ratings to give, with location being just one of them. This way you are misleading fellow travelers into thinking is is a good hotel, when in fact it's horrible. It got so depressing to stay there overnight, that I spent two nights out of the 5 I had booked over at a friend's place out of London.
To summarize it, if I hadn't booked an non-refundable stay, I would NOT have stayed here, and I'm definitely not staying here again, I would rather stay out of London and take the tube than set foot in this hotel again!
The location was fantastic for me. It's in the heart of all the happenings and just a short walk from the underground. I loved it. On the downside, when I walked into the room I thought it was a bit small. I know it was a single room but if I was
a little taller my foot would have hang out of the bed, it was that short and I could not roll. I was forced to sleep in one position, not good at all. My first night I was awaken VERY! VERY! early to the sounds of construction hammering and power tools noises. This is after travelling in excess of 11 hours and when I complained about it they could not change my room because I was staying there for 11 days. I was not happy.
Hotel features (5 = best, 1 = worst):
Short walk from hotel
Punjab, an excellant Indian resturant, wonderful food and service.
Can't beat the location right near Covent Garden. Our room was a bit snug, but very quiet, having been on the inner court side. Amenities were good, except perhaps the remote for the TV could haved used new batteries. Front desk staff very
efficient and friendly. We did not eat in the restaurant, so cannot comment on the food.
Great hotel!! Location unbeatable (esp. if you like theatre), price fabulous, room service excellent, bed nice and firm. The only possible drawback is that the room was quite small. Really only barely fit the bed and desk. But for this location at
this price it was totally worth it!! Would definitely recommend and frequent again!