Checking-in is not intuitive at all and there is inadequate signage to address the unusual placement of reception - on the fifth floor:
I walked into the ground floor and waited around while a staff member was on the phone at the counter. He got
off the phone and walked away without even acknowledging me, let alone asking me what I needed, which was to check-in. After standing around for a while, another staff member walked out of a bag room and directed me to the fifth floor (lobby) to check in.
- The business center was closed on Sunday, which is a bit unusual (and inconvenient) in a city renowned as an international business center where travelers frequently conduct business with people in other time zones, regardless of the day of the week.
- For this price point, facilities feel a bit shabby and run down, even though I heard the Excelsior Tower was more recently renovated.
- Skip the room with a view in Peninsula Tower - it's not worth the extra $100 per night unless you spend a lot of time in your room staring out the window. Just go to a sky bar and check out the view once from there.
- Free tea was not replenished, even though the empty tea bag packets were evident on the counter.
- When I asked other staff for directions to various places, they generally did their job but mostly seemed put out by having to work. Except for the staff at the business center (when they were open) - they were very friendly and helpful.
+ The largest safe I have ever seen in a hotel - about the size of a mini-fridge.
For only about $30 more, go across the street to a hotel with better facilities, amenities, and service.
Hotel features (5 = best, 1 = worst):
Short walk from hotel
There's a grocery store in the shopping complex nearby, so you can stock up on food for the fridge, if you want to eat cheaply by, for example, packing a lunch for your daily excursions.
Good location, near City Hall MRT. However, the hotel is old, rooms are dated and small. Pool is really really small and not worth swimming in. Room was relatively clean, except for the bathroom which still had hair (I am assuming from the
previous occupant) all over the floor...stayed for 2 nights, and this did not get addressed.
I got it cheap and did not spend much time in the room - even with that, would not recommend this hotel.