San Francisco's Parc 55 hotel
By Joe Brancatelli
Marriott made a big deal about San Francisco’s Parc 55 hotel back in 1998 when it reflagged the 1,000-room property as a Renaissance hotel. At the time, it was Marriott’s 1,500th hotel — a milestone that’s meaningless to business travelers but fraught with importance for lodging bigwigs. But that was then and this is now, and the Parc 55, once again an independent property, has found itself a new brand affiliation. It becomes a Wyndham later this month.
- Speaking of those round-number milestones, the 500th Hilton Garden Inn has opened in Concord, North Carolina. The 118-room property is adjacent to the Concord Mills Outlet Mall and about a mile from the Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- The 150th Hyatt Place has opened in North Charleston, South Carolina. The 127-room property is near Charleston’s convention center.
- Just 45 days after a JW Marriott opened in the L.A. Live complex near the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, a 123-room Ritz-Carlton opened, too. Not only are both properties part of Marriott, both hotels are in the same building, a 54-story tower.
- A 414-room Loews Hotel has opened in Atlanta. It’s part of the 12th and Midtown mixed-use development and the first newly built Loews property in five years.
- Two historic structures in Nashville — the American Trust and Nashville Trust buildings — have been renovated into a 97-room Hotel Indigo, which is part of InterContinental Hotels. The hotel previously opened in December as an independent property while the developers got it into shape.
- Starwood has opened a 250-room Sheraton resort on the shore of Qiandao Lake, about 100 miles from Hangzhou. The man-made Qiandao is alternately known as the “Lake of a Thousand Islands” or the “Atlantis of the East” because it covers the remains of an 1,800-year-old city.
Related Orbitz resources:
Joe Brancatelli is editor and publisher of JoeSentMe.com, a non-commercial Web site for business travelers. Copyright 2009 by Joe Brancatelli. Licensed by contract for Orbitz use.