By Amy Carey
The Minneapolis area, with its renowned Mall of America®, is an easy place to cure — or feed — retail fever. For travelers who want a pure shopping experience, there are plenty of hotels close to the mall. Or, visitors can choose to stay in one of the downtown Minneapolis hotels and take advantage of the city’s restaurants and cultural attractions.
Mall of America® is located in Bloomington, Minnesota — only 15
minutes from downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul — and an easy
light-rail ride from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. As one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world, Mall of America® features something for everyone, with approximately 520 stores, 50 restaurants and attractions galore. Here are some highlights.
Nickelodeon Universe: This number-one entertainment spot for kids in the middle of Mall of America® features seven acres of unique attractions and entertainment. This is a great place for children to have fun during the cold winter months.
Indoor Playground: The nation’s largest indoor amusement park features more than 24 remarkable rides and the largest underground aquarium in the country, and it was named “Best Shark Encounter” by the Discovery Channel. Kids of all ages may enjoy building towers or another unique creations at Lego®.
Fashion: The mall is home to the kings of couture, like Armani, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Fendi, and the Spades — both Kate and Jack. Well-heeled clientele can stroll over to Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo for fashionable footwear. (Shopaholics will appreciate the extra savings that comes from having no sales tax on shoes or clothing!)
Dining: Visitors will not go hungry with the more than 50 restaurants offering adult and kid-friendly choices. Find food-court favorites as well as sit-down restaurants, like Rainforest Café, Wolfgang Puck Express and Napa Valley Grill.
Hotels near Mall of America®
- Le Bourget Aero Suites a French-inspired, all-suite hotel. It offers free shuttle service to the Mall of America — just a quick seven-minute ride from this Bloomington hotel.
- For those who want a mid-economy hotel across the street from Mall of America®, Ramada Mall of America-Airport is a good choice. The hotel recently completed a renovation of all of its guestrooms, and guests can enjoy the pool after a day of shopping.
- Sofitel offers luxury and comfort away from home, with large modern European rooms that offer walk-in rain showers, plasma televisions and broadband Internet access.
Downtown Minneapolis hotels
Downtown Minneapolis offers great shopping, dining, accommodations and activities. Visitors can explore the historic State and Orpheum theaters, visit the Guthrie Theater or the Walker Art Center, or catch the latest event at the Target Center or Metrodome.
- Hyatt Regency Minneapolis has great rates for a luxury hotel. The hotel is located on Nicollet Mall, in the heart of downtown and features a heated indoor pool, two whirlpools and sauna.
- Graves 601 is a sleek new hotel in the heart of the theater, financial and warehouse district, in the new Block E complex. The hotel features specially designed beds with etched glass headboards. Cosmos Restaurant and Lounge and Minneapolis’ hottest new nightclub, Infinity, are nearby.
- Radisson Plaza Hotel has a central downtown location within walking distance of shopping, dining, sports, theater and nightlife, and (very important during the winter months) it is directly connected to the city’s climate controlled skyway system.
Related Orbitz resources:
Amy Carey is a Market Manager at Orbitz and has many fond childhood memories of Mall of America®. She traveled all the way from Chicago to find her prom dress at Mall of America®.